New Year’s Resolution – Wouldn’t it be a shame if …?
As you slide into yet another new year, what are you going to do with your new year’s resolution?
Many of us will plan to lose weight, we’ll promise to eat better, we’ll get to the gym, etc. Well I say “Go for it!”. But while you’re at it, what if we all chose to live life to the fullest, to be the change we’d like to see, to stop waiting for something, to follow our dreams? You get to choose your resolution, and you get to decide if you’re going to follow through with it.
Everything that exists in our world today exists because somebody decided to follow their dreams. What would our world look like if the Wright brothers hadn’t followed their dream to fly, if Thomas Edison didn’t commit to inventing the light bulb, or Alexander Graham Bell didn’t pursue the idea of creating a telephone? What if those scientists didn’t decide to bring the internet into existence, if Marc Zuckerberg didn’t follow up on his thoughts for FaceBook, if the twitter inventors decided “oh, I’ll never be able to make that happen”, or the wordpress inventors never followed through? One thing is for sure, you wouldn’t be reading this blog right now.
Just once … Did you ever have an idea for how to improve something but you didn’t do anything about it? It might have been the smallest thing. And then someone else had a similar idea and did do something about it, and you paused and wondered “why couldn’t that have been me?” The world is littered with stories of “hey, I had that same idea last year”, and it’s littered because people find a thousand reasons NOT to do something before they’ll find a reason to take action.
I, for one, am going to stand up for everything I believe in. If I think something needs to change I’m going to ask myself how (not if) I can help. I’m going to live my life according to the principles I’ve established. I’m going to:
1. Expect synchronicity – my dreams, my conversations, what I see, hear and feel are all helping guide me in the direction I need to go;
2. Examine my limiting beliefs – I know that I can be and do anything that I put my mind to;
3. Speak my authentic truth – I am going to be who I really am and not try to be who I think others want me to be, in all facets of my life;
4. Choose Love vs Fear – I won’t be afraid to achieve my own greatness, and I will always choose to act for the “greater good”. I will act for the community and not simply for my own well-being, and in the theme of co-operation as opposed to competition as “we’re all in this together”;
5. Get Off the Sidelines – every day I will take action to move myself forward in the direction of my dreams.
What if this is your year to make a difference? Your year to achieve your own greatness? Your year to live life to the fullest? Wouldn’t it be a shame if you didn’t? Wouldn’t it be a shame if your dream to do something to make your community or the world a better place remained just that, a dream?
So, why not pause for one extra moment and ask yourself “what am I going to do for this year’s resolution?” Wouldn’t it be a shame if you didn’t?